Content Harry Potter Original Young Justice
  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

I don't own Harry Potter and wouldn't particularly care to. I would like a rental agreement with option to buy for Hermione Granger. A short term contract with Nymphadora Tonks wouldn't be turned down. A Long-term agreement with Luna Lovegood would probably be a whole lot of fun. Any time Padma Patil wants to open negotiations, call me and oh for a weekend with Fleur. Oddly Lavender and Padma's sister (despite being her twin) Parvati do nothing for me…

September 28, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Room of Requirements:

Daphne stood outside the door of the secret room that absolutely everyone knew about; wondering if she should enter. Why had she opened herself up to this? Why did it hurt so much?

Hannah Abbot had approached Daphne this morning at breakfast.

"I take it you heard about last night?"

"Yes. He stood me up for her. You warned me that if she called, he would go to her. I just didn't really believe it. Since she and Weasley are split, I guess that Harry will go to her now?"

"No, you don't understand Daphne. Hermione isn't a lover for Harry. She's… She's his Tracey."

"His Tracey? I don't understand."

"You know Harry's history. Like you he's an only child, like you he has no idea what its like to have a sibling, despite that, like you he has found someone to be that sibling. Hermione is Harry's Tracey. Tracey is your Hermione. Have you ever wanted to have sex with Tracey?

"No."

"And that is Harry's reaction to the idea of sleeping with Hermione." Hannah took a piece of bacon off the platter to her left. "Harry's terrified he's buggered up the best relationship he's ever had. Has he?"

"I… I don't know." The Slytherin appeared to almost be in tears. "I don't know if I can share. I was really amazed by how much his not showing up hurt me."

"If the situation was reversed and Tracey needed you, would you go to her?

"Of course I would, but…" Daphne shook her head. "Can this even be real? It's all happening so fast."

Hannah shrugged. "As far as I'm concerned, some things are just meant to be Daphne. The way I see it you've got a choice. You can walk away now and always wonder what might have happened, or you can give him a chance to make it up to you. Don't expect him to apologize though, not for going to Hermione when she needed him."

"And what happens if I walk away?"

"I go get Sue Bones and tell her that Harry needs some sympathy." The first hints of a smile showed on Hannah's face.

Daphne returned the grin. "You had to make it a competition didn't you? Where's he hiding?"

"The Room of Requirements. Take it easy on him Daphne. If you want it over, then it's over, but if you want to give him a chance…"

Daphne reached for the brass handle on the door to the Room of Requirements, before she could touch it, someone called her name.

"Daphne!"

She turned to find Hermione Granger approaching. "Have you spoken with Harry yet?"

"No. I was just going to."

The bushy haired Gryffindor looked around, and then she waved her wand in patterns that Daphne recognized as privacy charms. Non verbal privacy charms. Daphne was impressed in spite of herself.

"I'm sorry Harry stood you up because of me. There's something about last night you should know."

Daphne nodded for the Head Girl to go on, fully expecting to hear that Granger intended to claim her relationship with Harry.

"I threw myself at Harry last night. More than once. I just wanted the hurting to stop, to know that someone wanted me. He wasn't even tempted. He told me he was with you. I know that you are still in the early stages of your relationship, and that trust has to be important. Please don't blame Harry for last night. It was my fault for being such an idiot."

"I don't think I'm blaming anyone Granger. Thank you for telling me. I think I need to speak with Harry."

"I just thought you should know."

Daphne watched as the Head Girl, still appearing to be somewhat beaten turned to walk away.

"Granger? I mean Hermione?"

Hermione turned to face her. "Yes?"

"If you decide to get some revenge on Weasley, come and talk to me… I've got all kinds of ideas along that line."

Hermione smiled. "I might do that."

…--ooo000ooo--…

September 28, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Room of Requirements:

The door opened at her touch. The room was configured as a large open room. The only furniture in the room was a table and two chairs. Harry sat at one.

"Would it help if I started out saying I'm sorry for last night?"

"It might. It would depend on if you lied to me about if you would do it again." She approached the table and sat next to him. "This room is a little sparse."

"I figured it would give you less to hit me with." Harry smiled for a second before hanging his head. "I can't promise that I wouldn't do the same thing all over again if she needed me."

"Good. You're not lying to me. You hurt me last night Potter."

Harry sighed. "If I had had the time, I would have come to you to explain, but I found out what Ron had done, and I…"

"What hurt was you didn't tell me what was going on in your note. I had to find out you forced your way into Granger's suite from others."

"You're right. I screwed up."

Daphne reached out and lifted his head so that he was looking at her. "Don't you ever lie to me or 'omit' details ever again."

"Again? There is going to be the possibility of an 'again'?"

"I think I could be persuaded." Daphne stood up and pulled Harry to his feet. Her eyes closed in concentration, the table and chairs faded from existence. In place of the plain empty room was a duplicate of the Slytherin common room, the only difference Harry could see comparing it to his memories from second year was that the furniture had been replaced by a large chaise lounge.

"You have some very good friends Harry Potter. Hannah found me and pleaded your case, explaining to me that Granger is to you what Tracey is to me. Granger found me before I could find you, and made sure I knew that she came on to you and you told her that you were with me. Lock the door."

Harry drew his wand from his pocket and cast four different locking charms on the door. To be on the safe side he concentrated for a moment and a steel bar seated its self across the door frame preventing the door from opening.

"You're thorough. Good." Daphne pulled him over to the chaise, and then still standing she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. "We've been going out for three weeks now, for the last two weeks the only person I've spent more time with is Tracey. We've had our first fight. I think it's time for us to make up."

"Thank you."

"I haven't completely forgiven you yet Potter. Perhaps after you earn it." She pulled him down onto the chaise.

…--ooo000ooo--…

Their petting had been going on for more than half of an hour. Daphne sat up and pulled the jumper she wore over her head revealing a white tee shirt. She lay next to him again and began to play with the buttons of his shirt. "You've got hands Harry. It's alright to use them. Touch me."

"I'm Harry again?" He asked as his right hand traced down her spine through the tee.

Daphne shuddered at his touch. "I think I've forgiven you Harry." She said her eyes heavily lidded. "You've earned it. Now get back to work."

Harry didn't need to be told twice. Over the next half hour they shed their clothing. With unspoken agreement the both removed their underwear. She was fascinated with his erection, he with her wetness.

"What do you want me to do?" Harry asked

Daphne took hold of his erection. "I want to be very clear here Harry. As long as you are with me, this," she gave his penis a squeeze, "is mine. If you as much as show it to another woman before I am finished with you, I will remove it. And no bragging to your friends either." She leaned into him and kissed him tenderly. "Love me Harry. Love me."

…--ooo000ooo--…

Like most first times it was awkward, embarrassing and for Daphne, painful. Harry was horrified that he might have hurt her, despite Daphne assuring him that the pain was completely normal and she had been expecting it.

Dean Thomas' collection of 'art magazines' hadn't prepared Harry for the actual sex act. The written descriptions of the utter bliss seemed to be lies in the face of Daphne's tears. He cursed himself for his ignorance and lack of skill.

After half an hour they tried again. Their second attempt was just as awkward and embarrassing, but somehow all the more exciting for all that.

…--ooo000ooo--…

December 23, 1996

Ottery St. Catchpole

The Burrow

Molly's Kitchen:

Harry loved Christmas at the Burrow. This is what a family was supposed to be, people who cared about each other even when they fought and argued. Ron was visiting Hermione at her parent's home, the two of them would come to the Burrow sometime after 6pm on Christmas day. Ron was ecstatic. 'Think about it Harry' he had said on the train 'Two Christmas dinners.' All was right in Ron Weasley's world.

Harry just hoped that he didn't drive Hermione insane while trying to deal with live as a Muggle. Harry suspect that he could have sold tickets in Gryffindor tower for the chance to watch Ron Weasley try to pass for a Muggle.

Where was Ginny anyway? Under his invisibility cloak, Harry left Ron's room in stocking feet, the better to sneak up on his lady love. A good scare was usually good for a quick snog. She wasn't in her room. Probably down stairs. He quietly descended the stairs. There she was, sitting with her mum talking over a cup of tea. He sat on the step and sighed. He loved seeing her like this. Oh there was no way in hell that Gin would ever be a stay at home mother like Molly, but still just the sight of the two of them together made him smile.

"Ginny, you've got to calm down.” Molly was saying, “what if Harry were to come down the stairs right now?  How would you explain the tears?”

"It’s just so hard Mum.  He’s such a sweet boy, how am I supposed to be knowing that he’s going to die and that there is nothing I can do about it?” Ginny asked.

Molly just shook her head.  “Ginny, you have to be realistic in this.  I know you are well over your crush on Harry, and I know what sacrifices you’re making for the family, but the poor boy is going to die and there isn’t anything that can be done about it.  If he dies without an heir, then the Potter fortune ends up combined with the Black fortune and goes to the last male of the Black Bloodline.  Do you really want Draco Malfoy to have access to all that gold?”

"No,” Ginny sighed.  “It’s just so unfair.  Harry is so sweet in an abused puppy kind of way.  I feel guilty whenever I think about what his future holds, and about how we’re using him."

"We’ve known it might come to this ever since Albus told us of the Prophecy Ginny.  Harry is destined to die while defeating You-Know-Who.  We can’t protect him, no one can.  The only thing we can do is make his last days as happy as possible and protect his fortune from falling into the hands of the Malfoys.”

Ginny looked toward the stairs starring directly into Harry’s eyes without being able to actually see him.  “If we’re supposed to be making Harry’s last days happy, maybe I should go upstairs and…”

“No Ginny, and you know why.  The Potter family’s magic is infamous for countering Contraception Charms and the Potion.  The very last thing we need is for you to produce an heir so that the Potter and Black fortunes end up tied to a trust again.”

“I suppose… It won’t be too much longer will it?”  The petite redhead asked.

"No, not really. Albus is predicting that You-Know-Who will make his move this summer and our little hero will march off to his doom.  Severus will have the potion ready on June the 1st, ensuring your wedding by the 15th, and then we get everything we've got coming to us.  Your job is to keep him distracted and happy until it's time for him to do his duty."

Harry sat on the stairs unable to breathe, he couldn't believe his ears. Was this a dream? Was Voldemort manipulating his mind again? He drove the handle of his wand into his thigh. The pain made no difference in what he was seeing and hearing. Ginny and Molly were still there discussing the celebration of his upcoming death.

He had to get out of there. He returned upstairs and gathered his shoes and other things. Creeping down stairs he eased the door open and exited the Burrow. He made his way to the road and raised his wand. With a thunderous bang the Knights Bus arrived. He boarded, told the conductor "Diagon Alley" Hopefully, the Goblins could help.

…--ooo000ooo--…

December 23, 1996

Longbottom Manor:

Harry stumbled from the floo into Neville's private apartments. "Harry, what's wrong?"

Harry looked into his friends eyes. "Neville, I've got nowhere else to turn right now. Can I hide out here for a few days?"

"Of course you can Harry. Should I get in contact with the Weasleys or Dumbledore?"

"No!" The raven haired wizard barked, his eyes panicked. He then closed his eyes and forcibly calmed himself. "I'm sorry Neville, but please, don't tell anyone, especially not the Weasleys or Dumbledore."

…--ooo000ooo--…

October 11, 1997

London England

Diagon Alley

Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor:

Rita Skeeter was on the prowl for a story. Pickings had been slim since her favorite Subject Harry Potter had killed Voldemort and dropped out of sight. Sure, his unauthorized biography had been a nice payer, but in the news business, you're only as good as your last story, and the last one of Rita's that had generated much attention was over three months before.

It was then that she spotted them. Potter's Muggle born know-it-all and Longbottom, Potter's new sidekick. There was another girl at the table she didn't recognize. She dimly remembered that Longbottom had become engaged to a girl from the Abbott clan, so that might be her. Those three might just be her next ticket to the front page. She ducked into a quiet side alley and transformed to her beetle form. Taking wing she made her way to the top of the decorative trellis alongside the table where her new 'Sources' were sitting. She settled in to listen.

"No, not all of it." The bushy haired Know-it-all said playing with the necklace that hung around her neck.

Longbottom nodded sadly, "Every knut. It's part of the whole 'confiscate the assets of the Death Eaters' ruling that the ministry and Gringotts came up with. The Goblins determined that since both the LeStranges and the Malfoys were as client families sworn to the House of Black, the Goblin's confiscated the whole thing. Since Harry is the head of both the Black and Potter families, the fortunes were deemed merged. The Goblins took it all."

"But surely not all of it!"

Longbottom shrugged. "The money, the properties, everything. Harry actually laughed. He said it wasn't like he wanted all that money anyways. He grew up with nothing; he says he won't really miss it."

"I hope Harry knows he can always live with me if he needs to, at least until he manages to get back on his feet."

"Thanks, Hermione; I told him the same thing. Harry's proud though, I'm guessing he'll take a job in the Alley. He said something about seeing if the twins would rent him the apartment over their shop since they had moved in with Alicia and Angela."

Rita had heard enough. Once again taking wing, she made her way back to her office for some serious writing. Sometimes revenge was so sweet.

She never noticed the smiles that passed between the three sources of her latest story.

…--ooo000ooo--…

The Daily Prophet:

Harry Pauper, The Boy Who Owed.

By Rita Skeeter

Sources close to the Man Who Conquered report that his fortune has been confiscated by the Goblins of Gringotts as part of their "Death Eater Retribution" program. While Potter himself isn't accused of having been a Death Eater, both the Malfoy and LeStrange families have been declared clients of the Black Family, and as such the Black Fortune was declared forfeit. In as much as Harry Potter is the Head of both the Black and Potter families, his fortune was declared to be combined, and both were confiscated to the last knut.

Friends of Harry Potter have cast doubts upon his sanity, saying that when told the news, he actually laughed.

Harry Potter dependant on the charity of his friends. See Page 4.

Sins of the Fathers See Page 6.

…--ooo000ooo--…

October 13, 1997

Ottery St. Catchpole

The Burrow

Molly's Kitchen:

Arthur was safely through the floo off to his Monday morning at the Ministry, Molly settled down for her morning tea. The morning owl carrying the Daily Prophet winged its way through the open window and landed on the table in front of her. She put the price of the paper into the owl's coin pouch and accepted the paper from the bird.

After the owl left via the window it had entered, Molly opened the paper while sipping her tea, only to spit it out upon reading the headline. She stood and ran to the fireplace, threw in a handful of floo powder into the flames. She stepped into the green flames and said "Ministry of Magic."

…--ooo000ooo--…

October 14, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Great Hall:

Harry entered the Great Hall for lunch, and all conversation stopped.

What now? That hadn't happened since he and Neville had returned from the final fight with Tom. Thinking about it there had been an abnormal amount of staring and whispering all morning. Had something happened at breakfast? Perhaps he missed something when he had surreptitiously taken Daphne to a surprise breakfast in Edinburgh…

Ignoring everyone he sat at the Gryffindor table and reached for one of the platters, when the double doors from the Entry Hall slammed open and Dumbledore escorted Arthur and Molly Weasley into the Great Hall. Oh Merlin on a Pogo Stick. What now? He bent over his plate focusing all of his attention on not paying any attention at all to the Weasleys. Maybe it has nothing to do with him. Maybe it has nothing to do with why everyone was staring at him and talking about him.  That made him smile just a little bit. Of course the Weasley's weren't here to see him. He wasn't the center of the universe after all.

"Stand up Potter." Molly Weasley's harsh voice interrupted his musings.

Crap. Like hell he wasn't the center of the Universe. Not rising from his seat, he turned to face the woman. "Could I help you Mrs. Weasley?"

"Did you think you could get away with it?"

The woman was certainly worked up about something. How had he ever considered this woman to be motherly? "Get away with what?"

"You know very well what. You will return Ginny's marriage contract now."

Harry noticed that Ginny was standing beside her mother with an extremely embarrassed look on her face. "I've been intending too Mrs. Weasley. I simply haven't found her alone in order to decline properly."

"You aren't declining the contract boy. Arthur is withdrawing the offer of the contract. You no longer meet the standards of the Weasley or Prewett lines."

Harry felt vaguely insulted by that. "I've always been a Half Blood Mrs. Weasley, what is it I did that brought about this change?" The woman's face colored and Ginny's paled.

"Arthur!" The red headed matron sputtered.

"Mr. Potter, I find that the situation in place when the marriage contract for Ginevra was offered to you has changed, and I withdraw my offer of her hand to you." Arthur Weasley looked miserable. Poor bastard.

Harry shrugged. "If that's what you want sir." He reached into his robe for the contract he kept in his inside pocket. He had taken to carrying it so that if he had managed to find Ginny alone he could decline. This was far more public than he had intended, but the result was the same. "Your contract sir." He handed the roll of parchment to Arthur Weasley.

Molly snatched the parchment away from her husband, unrolled it and sighed with relief. "Thank Merlin he hasn't signed it." The woman turned her back on Harry and flounced away. Arthur caught Harry's eye and mouthed the word 'sorry', before turning to follow his wife.

Harry watched as the Weasleys left the Great Hall. What the hell was that all about? He looked up to find everyone in the Great Hall staring at him. "I'm here all week folks, tip your elves."

There was a spattering of laughter from the Muggle Born and Muggle Raised in the Hall, but for the most part the joke fell flat.

…--ooo000ooo--…

After lunch Harry walked Daphne to her Ancient Rune's class. At the door, she pulled him into a hug and delivered a light kiss. "Harry, you should have told me. I don't care about your money."

"That's good,” Harry said, wondering if this day could possibly get any weirder.  “I don't care about yours either."

Daphne kissed him again, then turned and entered the classroom. Harry shook his head in confusion. What was going on today? What had possessed Daphne to say that? Had life always been like this and he was just too wrapped up in Voldemort to notice?

Harry made his way to the Entry Hall. It was a cold, but clear day. Perhaps spending his free period in a walk around the lake would give the weirdness of the day a chance to dissipate.

…--ooo000ooo--…

October 15 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Great Hall:

Harry entered the Great Hall hoping against all hope that the insanity of the previous day was over. The staring and the whispered had continued into the evening. Daphne had a detention (something about a confrontation with Ginny Weasley) so Harry hung out with Neville and Hannah until Nev pointedly suggested that he go the hell away.

Still, today was a new day. Breakfast was probably his favorite meal at Hogwarts. The eggs were good (not as good as his omelets, but there you go), if only he could convince the elves that other fruit besides pumpkins produced juice.

"Good morning Harry."

"Daphne!" He rose and kissed her cheek lightly. "Would you like to join me?"

"Neville suggested that I should eat with you this morning. He said I would especially enjoy it."

Neville and Hannah slid onto the bench on the opposite side of the table. "Good morning you two."

Harry regarded Neville with a suspicious eye. "And what have you got cooked up Nev?"

"Who me?" Neville said innocently. "I never cause trouble, I'm the comedy relief."

"Yeah right."

"Oi" Ron Weasley's voice came from behind Harry. "I thought this was supposed to be a Gryffindor table."

"Piss off Ron." Harry and Neville chorused. The pair then blinked and laughed at their synchronicity.

Ginny was evidently in agreement with Ron. "Let's sit at the other end Ron, something smells down here."

"A shower would probably help you with that Gin-Gin."  Harry offered, more than a little miffed at the girl for her attitude toward Daphne.

"Shut it Pauper!" the red head hissed as she stalked off.

"That's the second time she's called me 'Pauper' in the last couple of days. Is that a new insult or something?"

Neville was about to explain when the morning owl post started streaming in through the open windows. Hermione slid into the seat next to Neville.

"Did I miss anything?"

"No." Hannah said. "The show should be starting just about now."

"What show?" Harry asked. "What are you three up to?"

None of them answered. Harry noticed that their attention was focused at the far end of the table where a post owl had landed in front of Ginny.

"Why do any of you care that Ginny got her Teen Witch Weekly?"

Neville gave him a mysterious grin. "Wait for it…"

Around the Great Hall were a series of exclamations of surprise, none louder than the one from Ginny Weasley, who tore her eyes from her magazine to shoot Harry a look of pure loathing.

"What the hell did you three do?" Harry asked Neville and his celebrating sidekicks.

From his left Lavender Brown asked "You're not poor Harry? You really didn't lose your fortune?"

"Lose my fortune? How would I do that?"

"The Daily Prophet said that the goblins had confiscated all your money as part of their Death Eater penalty because the Malfoys and Lestranges were client families."

Harry fixed Neville with an amused look. "Pranking the nation are we? I was wondering why everyone was acting so weird. What was your part of this Hermione? Abusing your favorite reporter?"

"Why would I ever do anything like that to someone who called me a gold digger when I was 15?"

"Harry Potter, 17, retains his place as Magical Britain's number one most eligible bachelor for the 74th straight week" Lavender read from her own copy of Teen Witch Weekly. "As this issue was going to press the Daily Prophet broke the story of the loss of Harry's fortune. Never wanting to be behind the curve on just who the next most eligible hunk might be, your intrepid reporter immediately sought out an interview with a representative of Gringotts Bank. I got both good news and bad news in my research Ladies. The following is a transcript of my conversation with Ripclaw, head of Public Relations with Gringotts:

TWW: Thank you for your time.

Ripclaw: My time is in fact valuable. How can Gringotts help you?

TWW: I'm sure in your position a the head of the bank's Public Relations department you are aware of the report in the Prophet of the confiscation of the fortune of Harry Potter, the Man Who Conquered?

Ripclaw: It is the policy of Gringotts to never discuss the private business dealings of our clients. Especially the dealings of our Most Special clients.

TWW: So, to be clear, though you cannot and will not discuss the business dealings of Mr. Potter, he remains a client?

Ripclaw: A Most Special Client. If you will excuse me, I have actual business to attend to.

There you have it ladies, the good news. In Gringotts parlance, a Most Special Client is someone with more gold than Midas. It seems that once again the Daily Prophet has gotten it completely utterly wrong about Mr. Potter. They must be so proud.

But wait ladies, before you resume throwing yourselves at young Mr. Potter, I promised you some bad news. My sources inside Hogwarts tell me that Harry has been seen with a lucky young witch on his arm. Daphne Greengrass (17) of Slytherin house seems to be his newest Lady love. A Gryffindor and a Slytherin? What interesting pillow talk they must have"

Lavender looked up from her reading to see Harry's pained face. "Lavender, please, do me a favor. Never read anything like that out loud again. Please?"

…--ooo000ooo--…

October 15, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Great Hall:

Following breakfast and the revelation of the status of Harry's wealth, Harry escorted Daphne from the Great Hall to her first class. She pulled him past her classroom into an unused darkened hallway, pushed him against the wall and kissed him.

"I just realized," Harry said when they broke the kiss. "I just realized what you meant when you said you didn't care about my money. Thank you. Sorry I was so clueless."

"You usually are. Its part of your charm." She kissed him again. "Do you still have any of those contracts?"

"Yes. I have three left, from people I know fairly well. I've been trying to find good times to do it properly."

"Do it now. Do it by the end of the week. I don't share Harry; I don't want anyone thinking she might have a claim on you. It would be annoying to have to hurt some girl because you were too shy to tell them to go away."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 15, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Owlery:

Harry folded the Marauders' map, returned it to his pocket, and steeled himself. This wasn't going to be easy. Almost nothing was easy with this girl.

He entered the chamber and his senses were almost overwhelmed by all things avian. Dozens of heads swiveled to face him, regarding him with unblinking eyes. One of those heads belonged to a blonde girl.

"Hello Harry."

"Hello Luna."

"Ohh, poo. You've come to disappoint me haven't you?"

"I've come to decline your family's offer of marriage," He had been right; nothing was ever easy with Luna. He smiled. "I'm not sure how disappointing that might be."

"Oh and we would have made such wonderful babies too." She looked very sad for a moment, and then brightened. "Alright Harry, go ahead."

"Miss Lovegood, In accordance with the old ways, I must respectfully decline your family's offer of your hand in marriage. At this time I am not looking to take a wife. At some point in the future that may change and I will certainly keep you in mind."

Luna took the offered parchment from his hand, then rose to her tiptoes and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Thank you Harry that was very well done. As always, you are the perfect gentleman." The slightest hint of a smile played across her lips. "So tell me Harry Potter," She was very close to him, her silver-grey eyes burning into his. She began to play with the buttons of her blouse. "Is a consolation session of oral sex out of the question?"

"What?"

"Hmm, I should really discuss this with Daphne, shouldn't I? Perhaps she'd be interested in my application to be your concubine… A Wizard in your position should have one you know." She rubbed her delicate right hand over his crotch. "Hmm. Maybe two."

"Luna?"

…--oooOOOooo--…

"She didn't." Daphne couldn't stop laughing.

"She did." Harry didn't think it was funny at all. Here he thought he was being a good boyfriend telling Daphne what had happened, and she was laughing at him. Daphne just didn't get it, after all it wasn't her that had run… made a manly strategic retreat in the face of the Ravenclaw's advances.

"Calm down Potter." Tracey Davis shook her head at the boy's thickness. "Luna was just having you on. She likes to get a rise out of people. You should see what she does to my father." She saw the look on his face. "What? She's my cousin."

"Seriously?"

Potter was beginning to grow on Tracey, but sometimes his lack of understanding of the Wizarding world… "Seriously. Of course, the three of us are cousins too, however distant. But Luna's Mum was my Mum's sister. Aunt Selene was a lovely woman. She messed with daddy's head too."

"Wait. We're cousins?" Harry gestured a triangle between them.

"About nine generations back Bertram Davis married a Potter, Charity I believe." Tracey explained.

"No, Chastity. Charity was her twin sister who married into the Longbottom clan." Daphne corrected. "Chastity is both the Davis and Greengrass link to the Potters. She had seven children. The firstborn was a witch named Bertha, she married into the Greengrass line. On Mum's side the link is closer. Four generations back Elaine Potter married Angus Moody."

"Moody? As in Mad Eye?"

"I'll thank you not to use that horrible nickname when referring to my grandfather." Daphne attempted to look stern. "Cousin." She couldn't maintain the stern look; a grin broke out across her face.

"Daphne, how closely related are we?"

"Don't be silly Harry. Elaine was a sister of your Great Grandfather. Elaine was my Great Grandmother. In any way that matters you are probably as closely related to Hermione Granger as you are to me. Outside of idiots like the Malfoys who actually DO marry first and second cousins, inbreeding isn't really a pureblood problem." She got a pensive look. "We're going to have to teach you your family history. Being raised by Muggles has left you woefully unprepared."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 16, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Greenhouse 2:

Greenhouse #2 was Pomona Sprout's pride and joy. While her student group 'The Gardeners' all seemed to gravitate to the more dangerous plants in Greenhouses 4 through 6, where the plants were poisonous, predatory, and carnivorous or a combination of the three, Greenhouse #2 contained flowering plants that, while they might be useful in certain potions, were not magical in the slightest.

Not being magical didn't mean they were not beautiful however. Pomona was world renown (in both the magical and Muggle worlds) for her roses, having developed three breeds that bore her name. It had taken quite a bit of begging on Harry's part for Pomona to allow him to use her bit of heaven for his meeting.

Threats of using him for fertilizer if any of Pomona's babies were disturbed in anyway still ringing in his ears, Harry sat on a bench among the flowers waiting. Sprout had also threatened him if he hurt her 'girl' as well. Harry had no intention of doing so, but…

"Harry?"

He stood up. "Over here Susan."

The red headed Hufflepuff strode over marveling at the flowers all around her. Harry gestured to the bench in front of him, as she lowered herself to the seat, he did as well.

"I've been waiting for this since you started dating Daphne Greengrass." She said sadly, and then smiled. "At least it's a beautiful place for bad news."

Harry extended the envelope in his hand. "I thought I ought to return these."

Susan blushed prettily. "I took those for you Harry, you should keep them."

"Thank you Susan, you are beautiful in them, but in all honesty I can't keep them and date Daphne. It would be disrespectful to her, and unfair to you."

"Hannah said you would say that." The Hufflepuff said, pocketing the envelope containing the photos.

"Hannah's smart. I try to listen to her and Neville about the important things. No one has seen those pictures; no one knows you sent me any."

"I promise I won't make a Weasley style scene." She dimpled, "Unless you'd like one?"

"Good lord No! That was more attention than I ever wanted." Harry stood in front of the girl and bowed deeply. "Miss Bones, In accordance with the old ways, I must respectfully decline your family's offer of your hand in marriage. At this time I am not looking to take a wife. At some point in the future that may change and I will certainly keep you in mind."

He handed the girl the rolled parchment.

She cocked her head at him. "Are you sure that's a proper contract refusal?"

"It's the one Neville and his Gran taught me… If anyone knows the traditions of the Wizarding World it's Augusta Longbottom."

"Hmm. As I recall, a proper, respectful contract refusal involves a kiss."

Hmm indeed. Someone else suggested something else, somewhat more intimate… I think I like your suggestion better."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 17, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Gryffindor Head's Suite Common Room:

The door opened to his knock, Hermione stood by the door. "They're both here Harry. Good luck."

After Harry entered, Hermione ducked out of the suite, leaving him alone with the Patil Twins.

"Ladies." He said, wondering if they knew about the contract.

"Hello Harry" Padma said looking up from one of Hermione's books.

"What did you want? Lavender is waiting."

"Well, first of all, it occurred to me that I never apologized for the Yule ball."

"Merlin Harry." Pavarti said with a dismissive wave of her hand, "that was almost three years ago. I'm long over it." She grinned, "Besides, after I dumped you, I had lots of fun."

"And while I for one wouldn't mind an apology" Padma interjected, "I would prefer it be from the guy who was an ass to me."

"So? Is that it?" Pavarti stood and started toward the door.

"No, please sit?"

Pavarti looked at him oddly, and then settled back into her seat.

Harry faced Parvati. "Miss Patil" then he turned his attention to Padma. "Miss Patil, In accordance with the old ways, I must respectfully decline your family's offer of your hands in marriage. At this time I am not looking to take wives. At some point in the future that may change and I will certainly keep you both in mind."

"Very funny Harry." Parvati scoffed. What did you really want?" Harry handed her the parchment. Padma crowded close to see. From his perspective Harry could clearly see Padma's eyes go all hard with anger.

"Giriraj! I'm going to kill him."

Parvati put her hand on her sister's shoulder. "Calm down Pad." She looked up to see Harry looking a bit perplexed. "Giriraj is our brother. Evidently our social climbing brother. When father died Giriraj assumed Daddy's place as head of the family and apparently thought it might be a good idea to sell us to you for…" she looked back to the contract.

"Five hundred Galleons." This was the first time Harry had ever seen Padma angry. "He wants to sell us for five hundred Galleons."

"Well, yeah. Each." Now Pavarti was getting angry. "Doesn't he know what you're worth? Five hundred Galleons. He's dead."

"Would this be a good time to point out that this wasn't my idea, and that the thought of the two of you together scares me to death because I doubt I could make one woman happy?"

Padma blinked for a few seconds as she deciphered his rapid-fire response, and then smiled slightly. "Relax Harry. We're not mad at you." Padma assured him.

"We've got to write Mother." Parvati said. "Thank you Harry. Lets go Pad."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 18, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The School Grounds

Harry's Spot:

It was an abnormally warm day for mid October. It hadn't rained for more than a week, and the temperature was a relatively balmy 18 degrees Celsius. Harry took the chance and had scheduled a final picnic. So far so good.

Daphne dug into the basket and found one of the bottles of wine. She looked at the label and made a derisive sound. "This is the exact same vintage Harry. Neville, look at this. He fed me this swill the first time we went out."

Neville took the bottle from Daphne. "Good Lord Harry. I thought you liked us."

"What? It's in a bottle with a cork and everything."

"I am marrying a wine snob." Hannah said shaking her head. "And you're dating one Harry."

Harry shrugged, took the bottle from Neville and removed the cork with a wave of his wand. "I've been told I have the taste of a House Elf. More for us I guess." He took a pull on the bottle and passed it to Hannah who took a drink herself.

"Wait a minute!" Neville laughed. "I didn't say I didn't want any." He reached for the bottle.

Daphne joined in with the laughter, Harry's expression dulled for a moment. The Slytherin's left eyebrow lifted for a second. Then Harry was back.

"Ok Daphne, I know you want to know, go ahead and ask."

Daphne accepted the bottle from Hannah and took a short pull. "Alright, it has been bothering me. You and Neville have been laughing about the stories you tell the Headmaster about how you killed the Dark Lord."

"And you want to know what happened?"

"Well, yes." She leaned into him and nibbled on his earlobe.

"There's a good reason not to tell anyone!" Harry said uncomfortably

"Come on Harry, for me?" her nuzzling became a bit more… convincing.

"You're doomed mate, just tell her." Neville said. "Besides it will get Hannah off my back."

"Oh, alright." Harry rose from the ground and looked around making sure no one was near. "You wanted to know how we killed Voldemort? The short answer is, we didn't."

"What? But you told everyone that you had." Hannah stammered.

"No luv, we told everyone that Voldemort was gone, and he is." Neville corrected.

Daphne took hold of Harry's shirt. "Explain Potter. Now."

"Alright. Neville and I made it through the Death Eaters and we found Voldemort in his lair. Somehow we caught him unaware. Neville busted in first, then rolled to the left of the door. That got the bastards attention and he was casting at Nev, who was dodging like a champion."

"I was fairly well motivated." Neville observed

"Anyway, Voldemort was concentrating on Neville and I got off a cutter that punched right through his shields and caught the bastard in the neck and I made him into Nearly Headless Tommy. He dropped like a puppet with his strings cut, and I fell to my knees where I stood. I thought it was over, I couldn't believe it."

"But you said…" Hannah said.

"I know, believe me I know. There I was kneeling in front of his dead body, almost in shock, and he sits up, his neck all healed and puts an ice spear straight through my chest. Then nothing."

"Nothing Hell. You were dead mate. I got to you while Voldemort was trying to stand up. You had a shaft of ice six inches around all the way through your chest. No pulse, no breathing. You. Were. DEAD." Neville shook his head. "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Your body ejected the ice spear, then healed it's self, then you sat up and cast a flame charm on Voldemort."

"Yeah, I burned the bastard to a crisp, he was dead. Again. But his magic healed him and he killed me."

"It went back and forth like that for almost two hours. Harry would kill Voldemort, Voldemort would kill Harry. Back and forth. They kept getting weaker and weaker, finally it was Harry's turn and he didn't even try."

"I just thought it was time to talk." He shook his head. "It just hurt so much, I needed a breather. Voldemort was just as hurt. We actually started talking, it turned out that we had a lot in common, Our illustrious headmaster screwed him over too, but he didn't have the resources of an ancient and noble house to fall back on. Voldemort came up with the theory that the prophecy wouldn't let us kill each other because we weren't equal, and the only way either of us could figure to tell when we were 'equal' would be when one of us managed to kill the other."

"Voldemort was telling us that he was just sick of the whole thing. He was only still trying to take over Wizarding Britain due to inertia. All he really wanted was immortality and comfort for eternity." Neville grinned. "I pointed out that as long as he and Harry weren't 'equal' they were both immortal for all intents and purposes."

"That perked Voldemort up." Harry added. "That was when I got to thinking about the Black family properties. There was an Island in the Azores that belonged to the family. It's been under the Fidelius for centuries, there is a mansion and a staff of twenty elves that maintain the island. I offered Voldemort the Island and 10 million Galleons to go away and leave everyone alone."

"He ripped the money out of Harry's hands so fast I thought Harry was going to have friction burns." Neville said, laying back and putting his head in Hannah's lap, where she began playing with his hair.

"But the ministry found Voldemort's body." Hannah said.

"A conjured homunculus. Tommy Riddle is sitting on a beach in the Azores spending 10 million Galleons." Neville explained.

"It was a win-win situation as far as I could see." Harry said. "He's gone, and I'm alive. Beyond that who cares?"

"Yes, but then that last condition he added in was a bit sick, but it's worth doing to keep Tommy happy and out of every bodies hair." Harry added.

"Oh, what condition was that?" Daphne asked.

"I don't know if you should tell them Harry, it's a bit disturbing." Neville put in.

"Oh, now you have to tell us. This sounds too good." Hannah put in her 2 Knuts.

"Just remember, you asked for it. Well, as I pointed out Dumbledore screwed Tom over as bed as he did me, well, uhm. Tom wants to return the favor. For now, we've been stealing hairs from the headmaster and shipping male prostitutes out to Tom once a month or so, but he's getting a bit impatient and really wants us to slip Albus a portkey to his private little dungeon. Of course, from the things I've been hearing whispered about, I'm not sure Albus would mind that much." Harry blurted out, looking a bit sheepish.

"EWW" the girls chorused.

Harry had been watching an area near a tree. "Ok, he's gone."

"You already showed him he can't sneak up on you, why was he trying?"

'I have no idea Daphne, but if our esteemed Headmaster wants to hear a story, why shouldn't we tell him one."

"Yeah, but the bet is off,” Neville said with a laugh. “There's no challenge to it, this is just stealing your money."

"I bet there are some kick-ass anti-port key wards going up right now." Harry said laughing.

"Either that or he's primping."

The four teens collapsed into laughter. As soon as he could breathe again, Harry spoke once more. "Daphne, you probably ought to get word to your grandfather not to go on wild goose chases to the Azores… unless he could use a vacation on the beach… I actually do have an island down there, Moody might have fun… Lots of girls dressed so that he wouldn't need that freaky eye of his to ogle them proper."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 18, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster's Office:

"Are you sure about this Albus?"

"Of course I am Alastor. It seems that Harry Potter has been lying to us. Voldemort isn't dead, but had retreated to an island in the Azores to lick his wounds."

"Albus." Moody didn't like the look in his old friend’s eyes. "There are at least 19 islands in the Azores, more if the Blacks have one under the Fidelius. More importantly it's a Portuguese territory and they don't like us. Have you considered that Potter might just be having you one AGAIN?"

"Nonsense. He was bragging to his girlfriend Alastor, he didn't even know I was there, I saw her coax it out of him."

"His girlfriend, as in my granddaughter Daphne? That girl wouldn't coax the information out of him. She might beat it out of him, but..."

"Alastor, just go, will you? Find Voldemort so that he can be stopped before he does any more damage to the world."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 18, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Quidditch Pitch:

"POTTER!"

Harry looked down and saw the mangled old Auror. He called to his fellows in the pickup game that he was playing in, and then made for the ground. He lit next to Moody.

"Yes sir?"

"Walk with me Potter." Moody set out at a pace that Harry had to work at to keep up. For a man with a wooden leg, he could really move when he wanted to. As soon as they were well away from the others watching the game over the pitch, Moody spoke again. "I've got two topics I want to talk to you about Potter, lie to me about either of them and I will hurt you. First, is Riddle living on one of your islands?"

"Nope."

"Why did you tell Dumbledore that he was?"

"Because he's a nosey old bastard who let my parents die to forge his weapon. People like you won't let me kill him, so I'm going to keep information from him until it drives him completely insane."

"That's what I told him, but he insists that I go down to the Azores and search every island to check."

"Ok. Wanna stay on my island? It would make for a nice vacation… The women dress so you won't have to use that freaky eye of yours to see them naked."

Moody ignored that comment. "Second topic. Are you sleeping with my Granddaughter?"

"None of your business. If she wants you to know she'll tell you."

Moody stopped in his tracks. The electric blue eye quit whizzing around and focused on him, joining Moody's natural eye in staring at Harry in an intimidating manner. The old Auror held that stare for a five count. "Good answer Potter. Daphne is a good girl, one of my favorite grandchildren. You hurt her, I will hurt you. And I don't mean emotionally."

"I've expected that since I found out you were family."

"What are your intentions?"

"Mad-Eye, we've only been dating for about seven weeks. We've been having fun. I don't believe either of us are looking for a life time commitment just yet."

"Fair enough. Just bare in mind her father is a right bastard."

…--oooOOOooo--…

October 31, 1997

London England

Tonks' Apartment.

The rain came down in torrents; despite his magic he was soaked to the bone.

Remus Lupin hated this night above all others. Sixteen years ago tonight his greatest failure manifested from his mistakes. If he were a braver man, he would have killed himself years ago, but he was so frightened to face James and Lilly. And now he would have to face Sirius too. Peter would be there too… Was what Peter did really all that worse that what he himself had done? No, there would be no forgiveness for what he had done. What he had done to James, to Lilly, to Sirius, and even to Harry.

Damn Dumbledore. Damn him to hell.

He had come here tonight in hopes of catching a glimpse of his Nym.

But she wasn't his Nym. Not any more. She had made that very clear that night. Nym didn't want to see him; Harry had threatened to kill him if they ever met again. The only two people that made his life worth living wanted nothing to do with him. Worst of all, he agreed with them.

"Is there a problem Sir?"

Remus had been so wrapped up in feeling sorry for himself the pair of Police Officers had managed to walk right up to him without Remus noticing.

"No Constable. I was just..."

"You seemed to be focusing all your attention on that window there across the street. Hoping to catch a glimpse of someone are we? Your girlfriend?"

"Once." Remus admitted.

"Not once in the history of mankind has the waiting pathetically in the rain for her to notice you ever worked, sir." The female officer said. "Women don't find that romantic, they find it rather creepy. Go home, dry off, and call her on the phone. Talk to her."

"If we see you here again, we'll have to look into the possibility that you're a stalker" her partner said. "I wouldn't think you'd much like that."

Remus nodded and turned to walk away from the area. After walking for 15 minutes, he verified that no one was watching, then apparated away.

…--oooOOOooo--…

December 24, 1996

London England

Diagon Alley

Gringotts Bank:

Neville followed Harry into the bank. The scion to the Longbottom family was concerned about his friend's state of mind. When Harry stumbled into his sitting room, he had been on the jagged edge of panic. The story had poured out of the frightened young man. Neville's first thought was that Harry had somehow misunderstood what Ginny and her mother had been talking about, but the more he thought about what he had observed of the younger witch's behavior the last school year…

Neville managed to get Harry calmed down and begged off of the preparation for the Ministry Ball that he and his grandmother were scheduled to attend that evening. He was still going to have to go, but at least he didn't have to spend the day in getting ready.

Harry approached one of the Goblins in the reception area, a few words were exchanged and the Wizards were escorted to an ornate (if oddly subterranean) office.

"Lord Potter." A Goblin sitting at the desk looked up to welcome Harry. "And who is your friend?"

"This is my friend, Neville Longbottom Bank Manager."

Neville felt his mouth go dry. Bank Manager? He was in the presence of Ragnak? Neville knew Harry had the Potter fortune behind him, but how rich was he?

"Ah, Lord Longbottom, welcome. It speaks well of you that you are with Lord Potter,” the ancient goblin said, using the title that Neville could not claim until he reached his majority. “Your father stood by James Potter when he assumed his responsibilities as well." Ragnak of Gringotts turned back to Harry. "Am I to assume that you wish the future Lord Longbottom to be present for our discussions?"

"Yes Bank Manager. Neville has been raised in the Wizarding culture, while I have not. He is my advisor in things dealing with that culture."

"Very well Lord Potter. When you came to us last night, I quite frankly thought that you were imagining things. Then I reviewed your claims. I find that I must apologize to you, if anything you are an optimist. There have been multiple withdrawals from your vaults over the last 15 years, none of which can be accounted for with the manner in which you were raised and cared for. We found evidence that reports of abuse toward yourself has been covered up for the last 14 years at least. Perhaps most disturbing, during your examination by our healer last night, evidence of at least five separate major obliviations were found."

"Five?" Neville reached out to put his hand on Harry's shoulder seeing his reaction to that news. "Can they be reversed?"

"If Lord Potter wants us to try, we will make the attempt. We have Goblin healers readily available, if you would prefer a human healer that might take a day or two, what with the human holiday."

"I don't want to wait; they'll be looking for me. No Goblin has ever lied to me or tried to control me. I'll trust your healer Bank Manager. But first, I would like you to secure my properties for me."

"You mean the Black house at Grimmald place?"

"Yes. Since you can speak of it, the Fidelus hasn't been recreated on that property. I would like to contract Gringotts to establish a new Fidelus on the property."

"That can be done by end of business today Lord Potter."

"Thank you Ragnak. Might I ask that Bill Weasley of your cursebreaking department not being used on this account?"

The Bank Manager appeared to be startled. "Do you have problems with Cursebreaker Weasley's work?"

"Not at all Bank Manager. However, Bill's family is aligned with Albus Dumbledore, I wouldn't want to put him in a position that might cause him to have divided loyalties. I'm not saying that he would, I just don't want to put him in that position."

The Goblin nodded. "A reasonable precaution. Who did you want for your secret keeper?"

Neville watched his friend as he considered. If asked Neville would step up, but he hoped that Harry had someone else in mind. Harry's face brightened.

"Could you recommend a reliable young Goblin who might be looking for a small well paid position?"

…--oooOOOooo--…

November 13, 1997

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Grounds:

It was a beautiful night for November, hovering about minus three. It had been below zero for most of a week, the air crystal clear and crisp. The Lake had just today completely iced over and the first snow of the season had not yet fallen.

Harry and Daphne were out for an evening stroll, their breath fogging the air. Harry took Daphne's gloved hand in his own, feeling her squeeze back at him.

"I love it when it's like this." He said. "The first real cold of the year, before it gets all snowy and messy."

"The stars are beautiful, but it's COLD."

Harry pulled her closer. "Cold you say? Could you use a warm up?" Leaning into her, he captured her lips.

After an indeterminate amount of time, she broke the kiss out of breath, looking up into his face she saw a few snow flakes in his hair, looking around she saw that the fat flakes were everywhere around them, gently drifting down in the calm air.

"Impressive Potter." She said her eyes dancing with inner laughter. "You kiss me and make it start to snow."

He pulled her closer. "Fear my power!" he whispered as he kissed her again.

…--oooOOOooo--…

An hour later the pair entered the castle laughing. Carefully used charms cleaned the snow from their clothing and vanished the residue from the floor. That action earned them an unseen approving nod from Filch. The caretaker had no great love for students, but this one… Argus Filch had no illusions as to what would have been waiting for him had Voldemort succeeded in his plans. This boy had prevented that, and from the caretaker's detached point of view, had asked nothing in return, other than to be left alone. Filch could respect that.

The Greengrass girl took the boy by the hand and led him off. The caretaker nodded to himself, then made his way to the school exit. He and Hagrid had their normal Thursday night out at the Three Broomsticks…

--oooOOOooo--…

Daphne led Harry through the dungeons to the entrance to the Slytherin Dormitories.

"Would you like to come in?"

"Very much. The only question is will I be all that welcome?" Harry ran his hand through the unruly thatch he called hair. "It's no secret that I'm not the favorite person of a portion of your house."

"If I say you're welcome, you're welcome." Daphne leaned into a familiar stretch of bare, damp stone wall and whispered a password. The stone door concealed in the wall slid open. Daphne stepped through the door way, pulling Harry behind her.

The Slytherin common room was just as he remembered it from second year: a long, low underground room with rough stone walls with several round, greenish lamps hanging by chains from the ceiling. A fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantelpiece ahead of them, and several Slytherins were silhouetted around it in high-backed chairs.

"What the hell are you thinking bringing HIM here Greengrass?" Pansy Parkinson shrieked from one of the high-backed chairs.

"Who are you to tell me who I can take anywhere Parkinson?" She turned to Harry. "I'll be right back" and she headed down the stairs to her dorm.

Harry watched her walk away, enjoying the way her hips moved. As soon as she was out of sight he turned to find an even dozen wands pointed at him. He raised both his hands level with his head, waggling his fingers. "I come in peace." He intoned with a crooked smile.

"Oh quit being idiots." Draco Malfoy slurred from a darkened corner of the room. "Fucking Potter and Fucking Neville Longbottom fought their way through more than twenty Death Eaters and still managed to kill the Dark Lord. What chance to you morons stand?"

The wands slowly lowered, though the death glares remained. "Thank you Draco."

"Fuck you Potter." The blond took another pull on the bottle. "You've ruined my life; I just didn't want you inflating your reputation by killing any more of what pass for my friends."

Harry removed his cloak and scarf, quietly shrinking them wandlessly before putting them in an inside pocket of his robes. "Your life is what you make it Draco. If you allow what I had to do to survive ruin your life, then that's your problem, not mine. I'm not going to apologize for living. I never set out to hurt you, in fact other than the times you were being an ass to me and my friends you weren't really ever an issue."

"Take a seat Harry" Millicent Bulstrode said from one of the nearer chairs

"Thank you Millie." Harry sat on one of the empty sofas. "Nice. Your furniture is a lot nicer than what we've got in Gryffindor Tower."

"How did you win?"

Harry looked to the girl who he vaguely recognized as a 5th year. "What do you mean?"

"You're a half blood. How did you defeat the greatest Pureblood wizard ever?" the girl asked.

Daphne returned to the common room, now dressed in black slacks and a black cashmere jumper. She sat next to Harry, pulling his arm around her shoulders.

"You mean Voldemort?" Harry asked. The girl nodded. "Voldemort wasn't a Pureblood; he was a half blood like me." Harry thought for a moment. "Actually for what little it matters, he was even less pure than me. Both my parents were magic users, his father was a Muggle."

"You lie!" the girl hissed.

"Why would I lie? It's in the public record, you can look it up. Tom Marvolo Riddle, born to Merope Gaunt following a love potion induced love affair with a Muggle named Tom Riddle. Named for his father and maternal grandfather, Riddle was sorted into Slytherin house and was Head Boy for the '44-'45 school year. He's in the school records. If you keep a record of the House Rolls like we do in Gryffindor, you should be able to look him up."

Harry thought for a second, and then drew his wand, doing the air-writing anagram trick with Tom Marvolo Riddle transforming to 'I am Lord Voldemort'. "Even his name is a double joke. He anagrammed his given name to come up with 'Lord Flight from Death'. Riddle used the Blood Purists to his own ends. I mean think about it. When he died, those who wore his mark died as well. Why? Because he slaved the Death Eater's magic and life to his own. Beyond that, he BRANDED them like farm animals. Would someone who truly believed in the superiority of the Purebloods do either of those things?"

The fifth year evidently had enough to think about and returned to her studies with a look of confusion on her face.

Tracey had come to join Harry and Daphne on the sofa. Blaise Zabini sat on the arm of Millie's chair and a quiet conversation started between the five began, ranging from the current class load, every one's preparation for the N.E.W.T. exams, and the chances of Slytherin and Gryffindor houses in the Quidditch cup. In a lull in the conversation Harry pointed to a portrait next to the exit to the dungeons.

"Is that portrait new? I don't remember it from the last time I was here."

A sudden silence filled the common room. Evidently pretty much everyone had been listening.

"And precisely when were you ever in the Slytherin Common Room before Potter?" Ted Nott asked from across the room.

Harry could feel every eye in the room on him. That had been a mistake. "Second year during the Christmas Holidays." The looks he continued to get (including from Daphne) told him that they weren't satisfied with that answer.

"It was during that whole people saying I was the 'Heir of Slytherin' thing. We thought that Malfoy was doing it all to make me look bad."

"Calling you the 'Heir of Slytherin' is not how I would make you look bad, Potter. One doesn't make someone look bad by complimenting them," the blond said from his darkened corner.

"Look, we were all younger and fairly stupid back then. Being called the Heir of Slytherin might not be an insult inside Slytherin house, but to the other houses it was tantamount to my being labeled the next Dark Lord."

Malfoy considered that and nodded. "You still haven't explained when you were in our common room."

"Yeah, well Hermione brewed some polyjuice potion,"

"In second year? She brewed a potion that takes more than a month as a second year?" Tracey interrupted.

"Yeah."

"Morgana, she is infuriating. It's bad enough she's at the top of every class, then she has to do things like that to prove how much better she is…"

"She didn't do it to show anyone up Tracey, she did it to help me. If it was up to her, no one would ever know about it." Harry saw every eye still on him, and sighed. He wasn't going to get out of telling this story. "Anyway, the polyjuice was ready Ron and I got hairs from Crabbe and Goyle…"

"Who did Granger get hair from?" asked Millicent Bulstrode. "Don't deny it; she wouldn't have let you two idiots out of her sight."

"Uh, from you Millie, anyway we took the potion and made our way into the dungeons."

"You may have looked like Slytherins, but you still didn't know the password, how did you get in?" Ted Nott asked.

"Draco found us and we followed him in."

"Wait, I remember that. I thought Goyle and Crabbe were being particularly stupid that day, but Bulstrode wasn't with them." The blond said.

"Hermione had a bad reaction to the polyjuice." Harry was NOT going to tell the Slytherins that Hermione Granger had used cat hair in her polyjuice. She would kill him as soon as word reached her. "She spent a few days in the hospital wing following that. Anyhow we found out that Draco had no clue as to who the 'heir of Slytherin' was, so we got out. The polyjuice was wearing off anyway."

There was a few seconds of silence throughout the common room, and then laughter began.

"Not bad Potter." Draco Malfoy said. "That was devious and sneaky. I didn't think you had it in you."

Harry smiled as well. The first olive branch perhaps? "I've often thought that the Gryffindors and Slytherins have a lot more in common that either of us would like to admit…"

"There's no reason to be insulting Potter." Draco sniffed.

…--oooOOOooo--…

November 15, 1997

The Village of Hogsmeade

The Three Broomsticks:

Almost two months.

Hermione Granger sat nursing her butterbeer, ignoring the students all around her. It had been almost two months since her 'break up' with Ron. This was her first foray outside the castle since then. She wouldn't allow Ronald Bloody Weasley to make her into a hermit. She just hadn't expected it to be so hard, being without Ron. After six years of always having Ron and Harry around, Hermione found herself experiencing an old emotion. Loneliness. She had known that in spades during primary school, never really fitting in, and then she thought that the experience would repeat its self here at Hogswarts until Halloween night first year, when Harry and Ron came to her rescue.

She had stupidly allowed the Weasleys keep her from Harry after Christmas last year. She had gotten most of her relationship with Harry back, but he was so focused on Daphne now… She didn't begrudge him his happiness with Daphne, or his new closeness with Neville. Part of her wondered what might have happened if only…

"Hello Hermione." Hannah Abbott said as she slid into the booth. "It's so crowded in here today. Mind if we join you?"

"Of course Hannah."

"Oh thanks. You know Justin don't you?"

Hermione looked over to the young man with the wavy hair. "Of course I do. Good to see you again Justin."

Justin Finch-Fletchly looked somewhat uncomfortable. "Hello Hermione. I believe the grand manipulator here is trying to fix us up."

"Justin!" Hannah exclaimed. "What a horribly insensitive, though completely accurate, thing to say!" The Hufflepuff smiled at the squirming pair. "Oh look at the time; I'm supposed to meet Neville at Honeydukes. Toodles!" and the blond girl was gone, melting into the crowd.

Madam Rosmerta appeared at the booth "Can I get you anything?"

Justin looked to Hermione with a raised eyebrow. Hermione looked to her nearly empty butterbeer and nodded with a smile.

"Two Butterbeers please." The Muggle born Wizard said. As the pubs owner left to fill his order, he turned back to Hermione. "Hannah was unusually subtle today. What is it with people who once they hook up with someone feel the need to fix up all their single friends?"

"I wish I knew. When I thought Ron and I were together, it never occurred to me to…" the emotions Hermione was feeling showed on her face.

"If it helps, it gets better eventually."

"Excuse me?" Hermione said struggling to regain control.

"It takes a while but you get over it. My girlfriend back home dumped me in late August. She couldn't deal with another ten month separation she said."

Hermione could see the sad emptiness she felt in Justin's eyes. "I'll get over it you said? When did you get over it?"

"I'll let you know." He said with a hint of a smile.

Madam Rosmerta returned to the table with their drinks, taking Hermione's empty with her. Justin raised his bottle. "To we few, we Muggle born, with a foot in both worlds, understood by neither side, feared by the bigots who hate us, pitied by the bigots who don't hate us. One day, so very soon we'll take over, and they'll pay, oh yes, they'll pay."

Hermione couldn't help but laugh. She raised her own bottle. "Hear Hear!"

On the far side of the bar Hannah Abbott was watching Hermione's booth carefully, when the pair sitting so far away began to laugh, she got her own private smile. It was so enjoyable with people stopped resisting her sensible suggestions and just cooperated.

"Oh hell." Hannah found Neville looking at her oddly. "I know that smile. What am I going to have to do? Dispose of bodies or apologize to someone?"

…--oooOOOooo--…

November 20, 1997

London England

Tonk's Apartment:

Nyphadora Tonks appeared with a loud crack in her bedroom after a particularly long and stressful shift. What looked like might have turned out to be an interesting evening out terminated suddenly when the 'gentleman' in question pulled a photo out of his pocket and asked "Can you look like this?"

It had taken three of their fellow Aurors to peel her off of him. The idiot in question might, or might not make his next shift depending on the skill of the healers. Tonks dropped her uniform cloak onto the chair next to her unmade bed, and had toed off her boots when a mysterious smell suddenly assaulted her senses.

It smelled like… food? What would food be doing in her apartment?

Wand drawn and in bare feet, she padded out of her bedroom to find the sitting room to be… clean. Not a takeout food box or dirty magazine in sight. The horizontal surfaces were even dust free. She had heard of such things, and even vaguely recalled seeing them at her mother's home and at Hogwarts, but surely such conditions couldn't exist in her apartment. Still following her nose, she eased the door open to the kitchen to find Harry Potter standing over her table pouring red wine from a bottle to a glass.

"Hey Tonks. You know, you're quite the slob. Winky, one of my elves, loves you. She says that you know how to make enough work that an elf feels needed." He picked up the glass of wine and pressed it into her non-wand carrying hand.

"What are you doing here? What's that smell? And what did you do with my porn?"

"Daphne had things to do with her friends, Hermione has a date. Neville hinted heavily that I was a wheeled broom, which I took to mean not terribly useful, the Weasleys are still pissed at me, and all my homework is done, so I thought I'd come over and cook for my lovely older adopted cousin." He smirked. And Winky said that your porn was disgusting and is alphabetized by title in the bookcase next to your sofa.

"Lovely SLIGHTLY older adopted cousin. You said you cooked, as in food?"

"Yeah, I've got a baked three cheese and sausage spaghetti in the oven."

"Are you telling me that my oven works?"

"Yeah, it's perfect. You didn't know? How long have you lived here?"

"Three years, but that's not important. You're not joking, actual food that I don't have to go out for or have delivered?"

"Yeah, it'll be done in about ten minutes. Would you like a salad to start?

…--oooOOOooo--…

Tonks pushed her plate away and belched in a lady like manner. "If Daphne lets you get away, I'm going to kidnap you and keep you as a sex slave/cook."

"It's good to know I have options." Harry said with a grin. With a flick of his wand, the table cleared and the dishes were in the sink cleaning themselves.

"It's not that I don't appreciate it Harry, the meal was lovely, but why are you really here?"

"I'm worried."

"About what?" the currently pink haired Auror asked.

"I'm happy."

Tonks blinked. "Which is it, you're worried or you're happy?"

"I'm worried because I'm happy." Seeing the confused look on her face he continued. "My whole life, whenever I've been happy, something has happened and whatever or whoever is making me happy has been taken away. A friend at school chased away by Dudley, a toy Dudley never played with until he saw me with it, Sirius, everything and everyone." He ran his fingers through his hair. "It wasn't supposed to be like this, you know. When I asked Daphne out it was only supposed to be a bit of fun. I wasn't supposed to be happy. I wasn't supposed to care this much. What happens if she…"

"Harry, don't do this." Tonk's hair went from her favorite bubblegum pink to a mousy brown. "You've had a crappy life, but all that's over. No one is controlling or manipulating you now. If you're happy, just be happy. If you're looking for relationship advice, you're talking to the wrong girl; I usually can't find a guy who wants me to look like me. But I see my Mum and Dad, or the Diggorys, and I know it can work. You just need to find the right someone. For you it might well be Daphne. I hope it is, but if it's not, that doesn't mean you give up, it means you keep looking."

"At least until I'm old, bitter and alone, like you Tonksy…" and Harry ran for his life with an angry red haired Auror chasing him.

…--oooOOOooo--…

  • Previous
  • Next